It’s very common for a man to develop a prostate problem as he gets older. Because changes in the prostate gland usually develop gradually, symptoms of a prostate problem may be hard to recognise, especially in the early stages.
Signs and symptoms of prostate problems
- Difficulty or delay in starting urine flow
- Stopping and starting during urination
- After feeling finished, a little more urine dribbles out
- A smaller, weaker urine flow
- Taking longer to urinate
- Feeling the bladder has not quite emptied
- Needing to urinate more often, both night and day
- Sudden strong urges to urinate
- Painful urination
- Painful ejaculation
Note: these symptoms are not always due to changes in the prostate and men with prostate problems do not always have these symptoms.