English Muffins on a Griddle
- In a bowl, combine powdered milk, 1 Tablespoon Stevia (my sugar of choice), applesauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and hot water. Stir until the “sugar” and salt are dissolved. Let cool.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the yeast and 1 Tablespoon “sugar” in warm water. Let rest until the yeast water is milky and beginning to rise.
- Add the yeast mixture to the dry milk mixture. Add the flour and flaxseed meal, and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Cover the bowl, and let it rest in a warm spot for 30-40 minutes. (Don’t skip this step. It needs to rise, or it makes a heavy muffin! Letting it rise longer, probably wouldn’t hurt it.)
- While the batter is rising, preheat the griddle WITH THE RINGS ON IT. Spray both the griddle and the rings with PAM. It’s really important to preheat both the griddle AND the rings.
- Spoon the batter evenly into 8 rings. You sort of has to go by feel on this. Somewhere between 2-3 rounded Tablespoons in each….so that they are about half full.
- Top with a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with PAM. It must be sprayed to prevent the batter from sticking to it. Take my word for it!! Covering the muffins helps them cook through completely.
- Cook for about 6 minutes, then flip and do 6 more minutes on the other side. Use the cookie sheet for a lid for the second side as well. Make sure that your heat is low enough that you don’t burn your muffins. Cast iron is best, I’m thinking!!
- Cool on a wire rack.
That’s it, enjoy!